Nutrition is more than eating food
Nutrition is the science that understands how the nutrients from your food play a vital role in the functioning of your body 24/7. Nutrients are classed as water, macronutrients (proteins, fats, carbohydrates) and micronutrients (vitamins, minerals). Nutrients are needed for many processes like metabolism, energy production, repair, growth, cell signalling, detoxification, movement, absorption, assimilation, heat and excretion.
Nutritional Medicine seeks to correct
Imbalances or deficiencies stop the body from performing optimally, and furthermore they switch off the body’s innate healing processes. Corrections are made in the form of nutrients obtained from food, changes in lifestyle factors and possible therapeutic dosing using supplementation.
Nutritional Medicine can have an impact on the following
- Choosing to eat the right food for you can boost your current state of health and wellbeing
- It can aid recovery, repair and healing after recent surgery, and traumatic or stressful events
- Assist woman in pre-and post-pregnancy nutrition
- Growth and hormonal changes experienced during child and adolescent years that need support
- Learn about preventative maintenance to help reduce or eliminate the risk of future disease or conditions
- Understand food intolerance, allergies and sensitivities so you can enjoy food more naturally
- Improve gastrointestinal and digestive functions and reduce or manage bloating, flatulence and amend bowel movement
- Understand the power of well-being and increase your nutritional knowledge